Factbox: What happened during the Mumbai attacks

(BestGrowthStock) – An Indian court on Thursday sentenced to death the lone surviving Pakistani gunman Mohammad Ajmal Kasab over the 2008 Mumbai attacks in which 166 people were killed.

Here are some facts about what happened during the three-day carnage that began on the evening of November 26, 2008.


Ten men arrived in the evening on a rubber boat on the Mumbai waterfront after crossing the Arabian sea from Karachi in a fishing trawler. They were carrying automatic rifles and backpacks containing ammunition, grenades and dry fruits.

They split in pairs, with the first two, including Kasab, taking a taxi to Mumbai’s busiest railway station, where he and another gunman hurled grenades and sprayed bullets at commuters, killing at least 58 people and wounding more than 100 people.

The two gunmen also attacked people at bus stops and hospitals before Kasab was captured by police at Mumbai’s Marine Drive.

Other attacks took place at the Leopold Cafe, a popular meeting place for foreigners, the luxury Taj Mahal Hotel and the Trident and Oberoi Hotels, which they stormed by hurling grenades and shooting at foreign and local guests.

India sent in the army and National Security Guards to assist hundreds of policemen to fight the militants lodged inside the hotels.


Security forces fought militants in room-to-room gun battles in two hotels, where gunmen killed guests, staff and blew up portions of the buildings.

Firefighters rescued 200 guests, but many locked themselves in their rooms as the militants continued to kill people.

The gunmen were guided by their Pakistani handlers, who alerted them about police positions after watching it on news channels beaming live pictures to the world, police said.

The militants also stormed a Jewish Center in south Mumbai and took hostages inside the center.


On the second day of the Mumbai raid, security forces stormed the Jewish Center after killing two gunmen and rescuing at least 60 people. The gunmen killed six Jews.

Security forces also cleared the Trident and Oberoi hotels after two days of fighting in which more than 35 people were killed by two gunmen. Security forces also declared the rest of Mumbai, barring the Taj Mahal Hotel, free from the militants.


On the third day of the Mumbai attacks, gunmen continued to battle Indian commandoes inside the Taj Mahal Hotel as they moved from one floor to the other, hurling grenades, setting fire to stairs and parts of the building.

More commandos moved in and three militants inside were slain in the final battle, but not before they had killed more than 30 people, injured scores and blown off a heritage wing. The last of the 300 people were rescued from the hotel by security forces. Authorities said three senior police officers and a commando died in the Mumbai attacks.

Stock Research Tools

(Compiled by Bappa Majumdar; Editing by Paul de Bendern)

Factbox: What happened during the Mumbai attacks