Two trapped, 1 injured in Michigan explosion

DETROIT (BestGrowthStock) – An explosion apparently caused by a gas leak at a furniture store in Wayne, Michigan, has trapped two people in debris and injured at least one more person after a roof caved in on Wednesday, police and local media reports say.

There was no immediate word on injuries to the two people trapped.

Wayne city manager John Zech told WJBK-TV that homes and businesses near the William C. Franks Furniture store in downtown Wayne were evacuated and natural gas lines to the buildings shut off.

Paul Franks, whose family owns the furniture store, was listed in critical condition at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan, a hospital spokeswoman said.

He told his rescuers there were two other employees inside the store at the time of the explosion, which occurred as it opened for business on Wednesday, Zech said.

Zech said the explosion occurred around 9 a.m., and local utility officials told him the blast was likely caused by a natural gas leak.

WJBK-TV reported at least one person was injured in a series of traffic accidents that occurred near the store at the time of the explosion.

Wayne, with a population of some 20,000, is located about 20 miles west of downtown Detroit.

(Reporting by Bernie Woodall; Editing by Jerry Norton)

Two trapped, 1 injured in Michigan explosion