UPDATE 2-Vehicle scare in New York ends; no bomb found

(Adds detail throughout, all clear)

NEW YORK, May 14 (BestGrowthStock) – New York City police cleared
several blocks near downtown Union Square late Thursday and
early Friday to investigate a suspicious vehicle but reopened
streets a few hours later, saying the car had posed no danger.

Local news reports said what appeared to be two gasoline
canisters were spotted in the back seat of a car on Irving
Place, spurring a call to the city bomb squad to investigate.

But police gave the “all clear” signal early on Friday
after locating the owner of the car, identified as a 1991
Oldsmobile Cutlass, and determining there was no danger.

A police captain on the scene, who declined to give his
name, said there was no bomb, “just someone who did something
they didn’t know was wrong.”

A Reuters editor attending a concert at the Filmore on
Irving Place on Thursday evening said police directed everyone
out the back door to 15th Street and patrons were not allowed
to leave through the front door on Irving Place.

During the height of the scare, police cordoned off several
square blocks between Union Square east and Irving Place,
witnesses said. They also evacuated some buildings.

The car may have sparked special concern because it was
parked directly in front of the headquarters of the electric
utility Con Edison.

The city has been on alert since a crude car bomb was
discovered in Times Square on May 1, leading to the arrest of a
Pakistani-American two days later. Faisal Shahzad, 30, has been
charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and
trying to kill and maim people.

Investigators arrested three people linked to the suspect
in the failed Times Square bombing during raids on Thursday in
suburbs of New York, Boston and Philadelphia but officials said
there was no new threat. [ID:nN13272503]

Stock Market Trading
(Reporting by Daniel Trotta and Derek Caney; editing by Todd

UPDATE 2-Vehicle scare in New York ends; no bomb found